As wireless technology has improved, more and more wireless speakers of astounding quality have become available on the market. However, many of these are out of the financial reach of most people, but what makes them so expensive?
As with many of the finer things in life, the bigger the investment, the higher the quality of the product, though we all know that’s not always the case!
This article will look at some of the most expensive wireless speakers you can buy today, breaking down their strengths, examining unique features, and assessing their overall design and manufacturing quality.
Bang & Olufsen are one of the most popular and reputable manufacturers of electronics in the world today. The company was founded almost a century ago in 1925 by Peter Bng and Svend Olufsen, making an impact as soon as they entered the market.
Significantly, they designed a radio that worked on alternating currents, as opposed to the battery-powered models popular at the time.
They are known for their forward-thinking, industrial, and stylish designs, whilst they only use the highest quality of materials for their products. The audio quality that their products produce is second to none and really sets the bar high for competitors.
The BeoPlay A9 caused quite a stir when it was launched, with it being heralded for its spectacular design and audio quality. Now in its 4th generation, the BeoPlay A9 continues to be a standard-bearer for quality across the industry.
The Active Room Compensation feature is simply awesome, as it can adjust its sound profile depending on where you place it in the room. Not only do you have the option of standing the speaker on stylish legs, but you can also wall-mount it if you so desire.
Thanks to their product’s interconnectivity, if you happen to have multiple B&O speakers (one day!) then you can connect them all. This allows you to seamlessly move through your home or office without having to change the source of music.
The speaker can fill any room with a full-bodied and clear sound without distortion thanks to its 480W amplifier system. You can hear the whole spectrum of frequencies, from a low baritone to glass shattering highs.
The touch interface allows you to easily tap or swipe to manage the audio settings. You can connect the speaker via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Google Chromecast, or Apple AirPlay, as well as using all popular streaming services such as Spotify.
This is a truly astonishing speaker, so if you’re feeling flush or have a birthday coming up, we highly recommend it!
- Strong manufacturer reputation for quality
- Incredible Design
- Powerful 480W amplifier system
- Touch interface
- Connectivity and interconnectivity
- Some reviews report that the legs are loose
- Powerful room-filling sound for any living space thanks to its seven effective drivers
- Active room compensation ensures high quality sound that suits your speaker placement
- Floor-standing (or wall mounted with an optional mount accessory) beoplay A9 can perfectly complement an ever evolving home style
- Lots of ways to connect including airplay 2 Chromecast and Bluetooth – as well as improved Wi-Fi connectivity
- Iconic design paired with rich expressive sound for a speaker that’s as good to look at as it is to listen to
Devialet is a company based out of Paris, France, which has been producing exceptional and extravagant speakers and amplifiers since 2007. Don’t let their relative inexperience (compared to B&O) deter you from investigating their products further.
They produce audio technology that is constantly pushing the envelope whilst also adding a significant amount of design flair, opulence, and a taste of the finer things in life.
It’s powered by a 4500W speaker that can reach sound levels of up to 108 dB. For some perspective of how impressive that is, that’s the same level of sound that heavy power tools make and is close to the sound levels of a live concert!
The Phantom Gold is guaranteed to fill the room with high-quality audio that filters out saturation and background noise. The Grade 1 Titanium tweeter allows for more power and the 22-carat gold finish adds style, sophistication, and improved audio clarity.
The speakers feature several technological innovations and improvements to take the listening experience to a whole new level. It is an Analog Digital Hybrid, meaning those with more traditional hardware can connect their equipment to it.
The Heart Bass Implosion creates astounding levels of bass to make your body vibrate and the windows shake. Users might feel like the experience is quite surreal when hearing such power and volume coming out of a speaker!
You can connect your music via Wi-Fi, Spotify Connect, Bluetooth, AirPlay, Optical, or Analog, meaning the user is spoiled for choice.
A quite astounding quality of speaker that defies logic in being so powerful for its size, offering a truly engaging listening experience.
- Luxury and high-end materials in manufacturing
- 4500W power for immensely powerful sound
- ADH – Analog Digital Hybrid
- Wide connectivity
- Wifi and Bluetooth links can disconnect
- The ultimate wireless speaker
- Gold Phantom, the ultimate connected speaker. Hear every detail brought to life with unthinkable clarity and precision by a Grade I Titanium tweeter. Surrender to indecent power and ultra-deep bass. Sound in its purest and most essential form, finished in fine 22-carat gold. No apologies
- 4500 Watts, 108 dB, 14Hz – 27kHz. 0 distortion – 0 saturation – 0 background noise
- Spotify Connect, AirPlay, Bluetooth, UPnP, Optical, Analog
- ADH - Analog Digital Hybrid - Clear sound meets raw power. HBI - Heart Bass Implosion – Physical impact you can feel. SAM - Speaker Active Matching – Extreme fidelity, genuine emotion. ACE - Active Cospherical Engine – Perfect balance, whatever the listening angle.
KEF is a British speaker company that has been producing audio equipment since the 1960s. This experience allows them to shine and produce some truly outstanding technology.
The design is simple yet elegant and the speakers are available in Crimson Red, Carbon Black, Titanium Gray, and Mineral White. These colors have a matte finish, so they look smart and sophisticated.
Plenty of digital connection options including Apple AirPlay 2, Google Chromecast, ROON Ready, and Bluetooth. The speakers also offer a wide range of options for physical connection, including Analog 3.5 mm, HDMI eArc, TOSLINK, and RJ45.
Streaming is possible from an impressive range of courses including Spotify Connect, Tidal, Amazon Music, Deezer, QQ Music, Qobuz, Internet Radio, and podcasts.
Each speaker is powered by a 280W amplifier for the bass and mid-range frequencies, with an additional 100W amp for the high frequencies. This provides a balanced sound and gives the audio a boost to new levels of quality.
There is a distinct clarity in the audio playback, allowing the listener to hear all the unique and subtle aspects of the music. They don’t require any external amplification, so they can be connected to your devices immediately for brilliant audio playback.
- Excellent build quality
- Pristine audio playback
- Wide compatibility
- Elegant aesthetic
- No external amplification necessary
- The app can be glitchy, which makes pairing difficult
- Available streaming services include: Spotify Connect, Tidal, Amazon Music, Qobuz, Deezer, QQ Music, Internet Radio, and Podcasts.
- Each speaker consists of a 280 watt amplifier for the mid range and 100w amplifier for the tweeter.
- Wireless Streaming features include: Apple AirPlay 2, Google Chromecast, ROON Ready, UPnP Compatible, Bluetooth 4.2
- Resolution Up To: 384kHz/24bit depending on connection.
- Featured Inputs: HDMI eArc, TOSLINK, Digital Coaxial, Analog 3.5mm Auxiliary, RJ45, WiFi
Naim Audio is a British company that has been producing high-quality audio equipment since the 1970s. In 2008, they teamed up with the luxury car brand Bentley to develop their in-car sound systems. It was as a result of this collaboration and teamwork, that the fantastic Mu-So V1 Wireless Reference Music System was born.
The design is stylish, sleek, and discrete without any garish coloring or design features, so it wouldn’t look out of place in the most extravagant and well-decked rooms. The system is contained in a wooden cabinet with an acrylic base and anodized aluminum wrapping.
These features aid the reduction of any distortion or interference and provide top-level audio playback. Users have a wealth of connection options for their music via Apple AirPlay, aptX Bluetooth, Spotify, and Internet Radio.
A powerful 450W six amp system provides serious power and crystal clear audio quality. The frequency range is mighty impressive and will allow you to pick out even the most delicate of sounds amongst the audio you’re listening to.
Have you ever listened to your favorite song on truly impressive speakers? Often you discover new sounds and audio effects that are unheard on lower-quality audio systems, giving the music a new lease of life.
This system is a quality investment that could last a lifetime, with its discreet design fitting into any environment comfortably. For those audiophiles out there, this is a solid choice.
- Premium quality manufacturing materials
- Collective minds of engineers and designers from Naim and Bentley
- Powerful 450W 6 amp system
- Stylish and sleek design
- The app can be glitchy which makes pairing a challenge
- Stream Music From Virtually Any Source in Stunning Sound with Naim Mu-so Wireless Music System: Apple AirPlay, Universal Plug 'n' Play, aptX Bluetooth, Spotify, Internet Radio, & Multi-Room Capability
- Award-Winning Naim Mu-so Delivers 450 Watts Through Six Amps and 32-Bit DSP Inspired from Bentley-Made Design: Also Features Touchscreen Volume Dial and Innovative App
- Six 75-Watt Amplifiers, 32-Bit DSP Deliver Audiophile-Quality Performance
- Looks As Good As It Sounds, Features Two-Patent Pending Designs
- Dimensions (HWD): 4.8" x 24.7" x 10.1"
The second speaker on our list from the fantastic and always reliable Bang & Olufsen. Like each of their products, the BeoPlay M5 has True360 Bang & Olufsen Signature Sound, meaning the listener is guaranteed to experience premium audio quality, with power and clarity.
The design looks polished and smart, fitting into any room stylistically, irrespective of the decor. Buyers have a choice of three colors, natural, black, and green, though each of these is quite subtle and neutral.
The top is made of crafted aluminum for durability and smooth interactions. It’s small enough to take it to a friend’s house yet still provides impressive levels of audio quality for the listener. Users can use the touch interface to adjust the volume and other audio options, making it an easy-to-use system.
As with the A9, the M5 is able to connect to other B&O speakers and technology in your house, allowing seamless transitions between rooms. There are a load of connection options available including Apple AirPlay, Google Chromecast, Bluetooth, Beolink Multiroom, Spotify Connect, and for the Chinese market, Qplay 2.0.
- Awesome design
- Impeccable brand reputation
- Highest quality materials in manufacturing
- Impeccable audio quality
- Touch interface
- Connectivity and interconnectivity
- The instructions included are minimal, which makes this speaker difficult to set up
- True360 Bang & Olufsen Signature Sound
- Crafted aluminum top with smooth tactile interaction
- Wireless, multi-room enabled speaker fills your home with music
- Personalize your listening experience through the Beoplay App
- Connect with Beoplay’s A6 or A9 wireless speakers for seamless sound throughout your home, using Chromecast Built-in, Beolink Multiroom technologies or connect via Bluetooth, Apple AirPlay, and DLNA.
Every one of the speakers examined in this article offer truly incredible audio quality. Each is designed and built by established, reputable, and industry-leading manufacturers. Although these speakers may be out of the price range of many, those that have the fortune to listen to music on them are guaranteed a fantastic listening experience.
They each have their own unique quirks in design and character, so some may appeal more to you than others. Before buying, consider the environment or occasions that you may wish to use them in, to ensure you find the most suitable for your needs.
If you are looking to purchase multiple speakers to put throughout your home, then it’s certainly worth looking at the Bang & Olufsen products. This is due to their interconnectivity and multiroom feature that allows one music source to play throughout the whole house if required.